- Sep 19, 2020
Writing a definition essay often seems challenging for the students as here they need to conduct in-depth research work to define a term or a topic. The sole purpose of structuring a definition essay is to define a term, idea, or concept. In simple words, it can be said that these essays not only define the term literally but also defines connotatively.
If you need any help with how to write a definition essay, then go through this guide. Here you will get to know the peculiarities of writing definition essays and also some helpful tips on how to write it without any hassle.
Table of Content
- 1. Introduction
- 2. What is a Definition Essay?
- 3. Some Techniques that you can Use to Write an Excellent Definition Essay
- 4. 5 Simple Steps to Write the Definition Essay
- 5. How to Write a Definition Essay Outline?
- 6. Key Elements of an Effective Definition Essay
- 7. How to Choose Effective Definition Essay Topics?
- 8. Some Interesting Definition Essay Topics
- 9. Some Popular Examples of Definition Essays
- 10. Some Useful Tips that might help you in writing a Definition Essay
- 11. Final Thoughts
What is a Definition Essay?
Definition essays are a type of expository essays where the writer provides detailed information about the term to their readers. Here the terms that are described are abstract and not concrete; so that you can convey its meaning extensively through complex concepts. The definition essay must be lengthy and thorough so you must choose a topic where you get plenty of information to write about and also use some standard techniques to elaborate the term in a way that can impress the readers.
The definition essays undoubtedly expand the knowledge of the readers and provide them with detailed and advanced information that they fail to find in the regular dictionary. Many people get confused between descriptive essays and definition essays as both of them discuss anything in details. But the main difference lies is that in descriptive essays an incident is described, while in definition essays, an idea or opinion is described.
Some Techniques that you can Use to Write an Excellent Definition Essay
While working on a definition essay, make sure to keep in mind the following techniques:
- Denotation: When you are providing the literal definition of a term or term as described in the dictionary.
- Connotation: When the implied meaning of an idea or a term is illustrated
- Analogy: Implementing a strategy of comparing two similar things
- Enumeration: When you are defining something through employing a list
- Negation: When you are trying to define something by stating what actually it is not.
5 Simple Steps to Write the Definition Essay
Now, as you are aware of what a definition essay is all about, wondering how to write an essay? here is a step-by-step procedure suggested by our research experts at EduHelpHub following which you can write an excellent definition essay.
- Choose a Good Topic: It is always recommended to choose a broad topic for your definition essay, as there you will get the scope to analyze its complexities and peculiarities. If you are selecting a multi-dimensional term or term with multiple meanings or term which is well-associated with interesting origin and history, then you will have the better opportunity to get good grades.
- Provide Explanations from Primary Sources: Make sure that whatever explanations you will be provided in the essay must be from well-known dictionaries, encyclopedias, or textbooks. Always refer to credible sources for references so that the majority of the audience agrees with your explanations.
- Start with Introducing the Term: In the introduction of the definition essay, you need to disclose the term to the readers by providing a sophisticated definition so that the readers gain interest in reading your essay further.
- Reveal the Term in the Body of the Essay: The body is the main part of your definition essay so here you need to provide detailed and full information on the topic that you have chosen. Make sure not to duplicate your definitions anyhow and try not to overload your essay with unnecessary information. Arrange the different definitions, following proper essay structure.
- Provide Sound Examples: While interpreting the definition, you can choose to explain your personal opinion on the topic and support it by providing vivid and sound examples.
How to Write a Definition Essay Outline?
- Introduction: You can begin the essay introduction following any of the different techniques, like open-ended questions, a short anecdote, etc. Make sure that it ends with a precise thesis statement that clearly states the basic definition of the term.
- Body: The essay body paragraphs must support the thesis statement throughout. Here are a few ways using which you can create a thorough definition essay body.
- Define by Function: Explain the term on the basis of what it does and how it works
- Define by Analysis: Point out the special characteristics of the term that makes it stand out from the rest. You can do it by comparing it with other classes and illustrating the differences.
- Define by Structure: Explain how the term is put together or organized
- Define by what it does not mean: It not only clarifies the definition but helps in a better understanding of the term.
Using these premium ways, you can make your essay quite appealing to the readers.
- Conclusion:In the essay conclusion, you need to provide an overview of the main points discussed in the essay. Also, link back to the thesis statement to grab the attention of the readers.
Key Elements of an Effective Definition Essay
A definition essay is not just a simple statement of the term but an overall discussion of several definitions of the same term. So, here are some potential elements that an effective definition essay must possess to analyze the various definitions in the analyzed form.
- Analyzing the Term: You can divide a term into several parts and properly analyze and define each of its parts.
- Classifying the Term: You can classify the term contextually by specifying which parts of speech does it belongs to.
- Comparing an Unfamiliar Term to A Familiar One: This is done when you are defining an uncommon concept. If you are introducing any term that is unfamiliar to common people, then try to compare it with something familiar so that the term is easily understandable to the average people.
- Describe Its Physical Characteristics: You can provide any traditional thoughts or details associated with the term or explain its physical characteristics that can be visualized.
- Illustrate the Meaning Using Examples: You can clarify an abstract concept of the term using vivid images, examples, and often relating the term to stories.
- Providing Background Information: For this, you need to research the etymology of a word, like from where the term originated and how it came to be known as this.
- Using Negations: An effective way of explaining the term is by mentioning what it is not. Using this tactic, the concept is brought into focus that is often being misunderstood or misused.
How to Choose Effective Definition Essay Topics?
As you need to present a more extended explanation of the term in your definition essay, it’s better to choose a broad topic. If you pick up a broad term for your essay, then not only you can discuss its specific meaning but also provide many definitions of the same term. You can explain the term using different opinions or even provide your own interpretation.
If you want to practice writing one, then you can choose any definition essay topics from the list given below. These topics have been suggested by our pool of professionals at EduHelpHub so that you can seamlessly writing your definition essay without putting any extra effort.
Some Interesting Definition Essay Topics
- What is a successful career for the majority of the people?
- What is considered as a happy life?
- Happiness and Well-being: Are these terms co-related?
- What is freedom for modern society?
- What is the institution of marriage all about?
- Define an ideal family as per the modern society
- Explain the philosophical meaning of the term ‘love.’
- How the term “Love” and “Freedom” are interconnected to each other?
- Success and Money: What these terms have in common?
- What is a cultural heritage and how it is important to every country of the world?
- What is project management? Explain the term comprehensively
- Explain the modern technologies that are used for education
- When a shopping experience is considered as excellent?
Some Popular Examples of Definition Essays
In definition essays, various connotative meanings of the ideas or concepts are expressed in different contexts. To understand better, you can go through some definition essay examples as they will provide you with better ideas on how you can expand writing your definitions.
- Mary Pipher’s ‘Beliefs about Families’
- Marc Gellman’s ‘An Argument Against Happiness’
- Robert Ramirez’s ‘The Barrio’
Once you go through these definition essay examples, now you can try exploring some suggested essay topics as well.
Some Useful Tips that might help you in Writing a Definition Essay
Writing an excellent definition essay is a troublesome task as you need to choose a topic that grabs the attention of the readers. So, our experts at EduHelpHub have recommended some tips that you can follow while writing a definition essay:
- Explore all topic ideas before choosing one for writing. Select the topic that is multi-dimensional, i.e., it possesses an inner or hidden meaning. Avoid choosing general topics that are clear-cut.
- Make sure that the different paragraphs are connected logically using transition words for essays.
- Always prefer topics that are familiar to you as then you will be able to provide examples from real life.
- Analyze different facts before choosing a topic as your essay should be based upon facts
- Choose dynamic definitions as these are more complex than static definitions and provide you more space for creativity. Avoid picking debatable topics or terms.
- Gain a better understanding of the topic by doing an in-depth research work
- Proofread your work before submission. Avoid grammatical errors.
Last but not the least, before writing one; make yourself aware of the essay format by reading an essay sample.
Through this comprehensive guide, we have tried to explain how a definition essay is different from that of other academic essays. Also, you will get an idea of the writing style and format of writing definition essays. Students can also practice writing by choosing any topic from the list of definition essays and use their skills to get better grades. Still, if you are facing difficulties with writing perfect essay assignments, then welcome to our EduHelpHub. Our pool of trained professionals and subject matter experts are always ready to help you in creating a top-notch assignment paper, right from scratch. They aim to provide you excellent college essay writing service. They can help you with tackling any sort of academic assignments, be it an essay or a research paper, irrespective of the topic. So, come in contact with our customer support executives and level up your assignment grades without any hassle!