- Sep 16, 2020
A commemorative speech or a ceremonial speech is a kind of speech that is basically given on any special event or occasion for the celebration that commemorates a place, person, or event. Giving commemorative speech for someone/something is basically showing gratitude or paying tribute to a person, an idea, or an event.
By narrating commemorative speech, you let others know why this place, idea, or person was and continues to be important. It is a way of the inspiring audience by boosting their emotions and feelings or providing them with hope for the future.
While writing a commemorative speech, you must be sure that the words you will be using here must be meaningful, courteous, and at the same time respectful. To know more about how you can create an effective commemorative speech, go through this blog thoroughly.
Table of Content
- 1. Introduction
- 2. What is the Commemorative Speech?
- 3. How to Write an Impressive Commemorative Speech?
- 4. Potential Tips on Choosing a Commemorative Speech Topic
- 5. List of Some Mesmerizing Commemorative Speech Topics
- 6. Excellent Tips and Tricks to Craft the Best Commemorative Speech
- 7. Some Creative Commemorative Speech Examples
- 8. Conclusion
What is the Commemorative Speech?
A commemorative speech is a type of public speaking, the purpose of which is associated with celebrating any particular event, thing, or person. For instance, in the United States, at the graduation ceremony, mostly students are asked to deliver a commemorative speech that inspires other students. In the speech of commemoration, students generally express their gratitude towards their classmates, professors, family college, etc.
While writing this speech, you must write from the heart and focus upon the present, past, and future aspects of the topic. This speech can be delivered as a eulogy to honor someone after death or even on acceptance of the award.
Now, as you are aware of what is it exactly, let’s learn the procedure of writing a commemorative speech.
How to Write an Impressive Commemorative Speech?
Like other academic pieces of writing, a commemorative speech also follows a particular structure and format. Here is a step-by-step procedure of developing a mesmerizing commemorative speech outline, engrossed with words right from your heart.
- Decide the Topic of Your Speech: Your first task will be to decide the topic on which you will be drafting your commemorative speech. It can be sharing a story related to a family member or a brief biography of someone who has recently deceased. No matter what topic you choose, in the end, what matters is that you need to create a cohesive piece.
Once you have decided on the topic, now brainstorm to think about how you can guide your audience for a better understanding of the event or the person. Also, you can start doing research work on it to know about it in detail.
- State the Importance of The Topic at The Beginning: In order to grab the attention of the audience, make the introduction of your speech interesting. Like if you are dedicating it to a person, then share something interesting about what they said or did.
- Reason for Showing Your Gratitude: Share the reason with the audience why you are showing gratitude or paying tribute to that particular subject.
- Highlight Their Contributions: After that, speak of their accomplishments, achievements, and contributions as to why they seem important to you. Discuss with proper evidence and examples.
- Share the Significance of Their Contributions: Talk about how their achievements, efforts, and contributions are valuable to us and who are mostly benefitted from this.
- Empathize Your Audience: Don’t forget to empathize with your audience by sharing with them what lesson they could learn from that, what practices they can adopt, and some memorable memories to recollect.
- Summarize: By sharing a short story or an anecdote, you can move towards a brief summary of the speech.
Potential Tips on Choosing a Commemorative Speech Topic
When you are asked to deliver a commemorative speech at your college or university, you must take a step back and think about different ideas that you can include in your speech.
While you are thinking of a mesmerizing impromptu speech topic, you must keep in mind the following points. These points are recommended by our proficient experts at EduHelpHub.
- Perform Research Online: There is a long list of commemorative speech topics available online. For the demo, you can also check out some videos of the previously delivered commemorative speech either at your school or by any famous personality, etc.
- Brainstorm Ideas: Brainstorming ideas will help you to come up with some topics that are relevant to your personal situation or personal to you. Make sure to choose meaningful topics, not debatable topics. Further, continue to form your speech accordingly by including information in it about a particular event or situation that you want to share with others.
- Understand your Target Audience: The audience plays a major role in deciding whether your piece of writing is worth it or not. Therefore, you must stay relevant to your audience. You should always keep in mind their personalities as well as their interests and accordingly frame your work.
Also, if you talking about someone in your speech of commemoration, then be assured of the people that will be present at the event.
- Convey a Clear and Meaningful Message: Although the main goal of the commemorative speech is to commemorate or praise someone or something, the objective behind delivering this informative speech is to inform the listener or audience about a specified topic or person. So, you must keep in mind that the message should be clear and meaningful enough that the audience feels interested to listen.
Hope these tips will help you to choose an impactful topic for your commemorative speech.
List of Some Mesmerizing Commemorative Speech Topics
Are you failing to decide the topic for your commemorative speech? Well, no need to worry. Our team of professionals at EduHelpHub has provided you with some good informative speech topics that you can practice on your own.
- Commemorate the lives lost on 9/11
- Celebrating the dedication and love of a parent or teacher
- The life story of Queen Elizabeth
- Commemorate the greatest travelers that ever lived (Vasco da Gama and Christopher Columbus)
- Celebrate the series of events that makes you and your classmate the best friends
- Speak of a time when your team won the first prize in an inter-college competition
- Eulogy for a professor at your college
- Celebrate the values of Hindu religion
- A compromising act that makes you a more evolved and mature person
- Speak about your spiritual as well as intellectual transformation after starting college
- Commemorate remembering your grandmother
- Speech on paying tribute to any famous personality (dead or alive) or a family member
- Paying tribute to Women’s right movement
- Speech on showing gratitude to war comrades
- Celebrate the legalization of gay marriages
These were some of the popular commemorative speech topics that will provide you with an idea of which direction you could think of. If you don’t have an inspiring topic to talk of, then you can any of the topics stated above.
Excellent Tips and Tricks to Craft the Best Commemorative Speech
Before drafting any speech, first of all, it is important to know your target audience before whom you will be delivering the speech. There will be audiences from different backgrounds; some might be familiar with your topic of discussion, while others will be a sound listener who might be listening to you for the first time.
So, here are some essential tips and tricks that will help you in drafting your commemorative speech in the best way possible:
- Have Clarity in Your Words: Avoid using jargon in your speech as it will go over some audience’s head. Take some time to provide an explanation for them.
- Up to A Point-Be Personal: A brief anecdote is always welcome at the starting to grab the attention of the audience. It might be related to your relationship with the subject of discussion. But you must focus on the subject for the rest of the speech.
- Don’t Condemn Your Audience: Avoid showing off your own knowledge before the audience. Address what is already known to them and then share a few new things with them in a conversational tone.
- Represent as A Collective Voice: Remember that this commemorative speech is neither about you nor actually about your subject of discussion, its more about the audience to whom the speaker is addressing. So, convey your speech so that the audience might feel emotional and express themselves.
Some Creative Commemorative Speech Examples
Commemorative speeches generally address any person or anything. But if you are still finding it difficult to understand, then take a look at some of the customized commemorative speeches examples that will be of much use to you.
“On November 20, 1962, our little town changed forever. What was once a tired, somewhat melancholy place, was suddenly bursting with life. The Jones family’s decision to open up a ski resort turned it into a winter paradise. As an employee of the Jones family for 25 years, I wanted to share a little bit more about their history and legacy…”
“Grandpa Jack was a lifelong firefighter. To me, it only makes sense that he moved up north to retire when most people do the opposite. After decades of taking the heat, all he wanted was to feel the cold. For those of you who don’t already know, you’ll never believe how he decided to become a firefighter in the first place. This is his story… ”
These examples will help to provide you with a better understanding of how you can start writing your commemorative speech. Whatever be the topic of your commemorative speech or the person you are addressing, feel free to get creative, and create your own speech.
Need Help for your Speech Writing? Approach us
Are you failing to come up with an inspiring topic for your commemorative speech? Well, then it’s better to hire a professional writer from EduHelpHub. Not only will they craft an amazing commemorative speech for you but also you can ask them for any assignment help. We have trained and experienced writing experts who will help you with writing a well-crafted commemorative speech, that too at affordable price. So, what are you waiting for? Feel free to reach our executives.