Expert Tips on How to Write a Flawless Cause and Effect Essay
- Aug 28, 2020
It is a universal truth that everything in this universe is inter-connected. Whatever happens in this world is the effect of the cause that takes place. As a result, we are well aware of these cause and effect relationships even from our day-to-day life; like, a chocolate bar can make a kid happy, a promotion in the post can make an employee happy, etc.
Writing a cause and effect essay needs a better understanding of the way things are related to each other. Also, you should be clear about the purpose of writing such essays and must have an effective plan of action in mind that you can implement to write a successful cause and effect essay.
In this article, we will dive into the step-by-step process of writing a flawless cause and effect essay. But before that, let’s know what a cause and effect essay is.
Table of Content
- 1. Introduction
- 2. What is a Cause and Effect Essay?
- 3. Types of Cause and Effect Essay
- 4. How to Write an Effective Cause and Effect Essay?
- 5. Cause and Effect Essay Topics: Essential Tips to Follow
- 6. Easy Steps to Find a Perfect Essay Topic
- 7. Some Outstanding Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- 8. Looking for Hassle-free Essay Writing Assistance?
What is a Cause and Effect Essay?
A cause and effect essay are a type of expository essay that not only illustrates why a certain situation arises but also examines and states the consequences of those events or situations.
Writing a cause and effect essay is one of the most popular ways of discussing and organizing ideas. In these types of essays, the topic is mainly concerned with why an action/event take place and what will be its consequences. Here the cause refers to any action or event due to which something happens while the effect is the final outcome of it.
The main aim of these essay types is to develop the analytical skills of the students so that they can deeply analyze the events that impact our lives and societies before taking any action. Moreover, these essays also test the problem-solving skills of an individual.
Types of Cause and Effect Essay:
Generally, the cause and effect essays are of three types:
- Effect-Focused Method: Here the analysis is focused upon one or more effects resulting from a particular cause.
- Cause-Focused Method: Here the analysis is focused upon one or more causes that lead to a particular effect.
- Causes and Effects-Focused Method: This particular analysis is simultaneously focused upon both the causes as well as the effects.
A cause and effect essay can be written by following any of the approaches discussed above. Whatever approach you follow, you can easily discuss the relationship between the two events. But your focus should be clear enough while writing these essays, so it is always recommended not to mix several causes and effects in an essay.
Often schools, colleges, and universities assign these types of essays to students, so in order to keep up a good academic performance, you need to master the art of writing cause and effect essays.
How to Write an Effective Cause and Effect Essay?
Wondering how to write an essay as you are not accustomed to write so? Well, we are there to help you out. In order to write an impressive cause and effect essay, first, you need to pick a topic of your choice. Then proceed with the following steps:
1. Research and Analyze the Topic
After selecting a good topic for your essay, the first thing that you need to do is start your research work on the topic. In the meantime, try to analyze all its aspects, like, how it is happening, why it is happening, how it might influence the future, etc.
You can use different sources, like; books, scholarly articles, online materials, and journals to get some idea on how to write it in a better way. Once you investigate all these areas, you will become more familiar with the topic. Also, it will help you with a better understanding of the essay structure and an insight into the topic.
2. Write a Catchy Introductory Paragraph
Once you have properly analyzed the essay topic, the next important thing that you need to do is write the introduction of your cause and effect essay. Make sure that the opening lines should be powerful enough that the readers find it interesting. You can prefer to start your essay with a compelling hook.
The main objective of writing an essay introduction in the interesting way is to attract your target audience. Here you can choose to share the background information of the topic as well as introduce the causes that you are dealing with in the rest part of the essay.
3. Develop a Powerful Thesis Statement
A thesis statement is the heart of an essay or a research paper. So, at the end of the introductory paragraph, you should craft a good thesis statement. In order to develop a catchy thesis statement, you should condense the causes and its consequences in a single concise sentence. Moreover, it should focus upon the main idea that the writer is willing to emphasize upon in an essay.
4. Organize the Cause and Effect Body Paragraphs
The essay body is the main part of the cause and effect essay so you should organize it well. Ensure to discuss all the ideas of cause and effect essay along with their supporting pieces of evidence in your essay. You can organize your significant ideas in any of the following manners:
- Chronological: Here the details are arranged in the order of events that have taken place.
- Order of Significance: Here the details are arranged in order from least significant to most.
- Categorical: The arrangement of the details is made by dividing the subject into separate categories or sections.
5. Conclude the Essay with Relevant Points
Just like any other type of essay, the essay conclusion of this should begin with a sentence that perfectly restates the thesis statement. It should briefly summarize the main points of an essay and you should present your relevant arguments in an organized way.
Furthermore, it is recommended to use transition words and phrases in forming logical bridges between the introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion of the cause and effect essay.
Cause and Effect Essay Topics: Essential Tips to Follow
Choosing a good cause and effect essay topic is a key challenge for the writers. It must represent a scenario where a particular event leads to another. That is to say, you must look in for a cause and effect chain in the topic that you have chosen.
With an unlimited choice of topics, it has become difficult to choose a topic that seems important as well as engaging to the readers. Here we have presented some characteristics of well-written cause and effect essay topics.
- It must be significant and relevant
- It should possess clarity and accuracy
- The topic must be interesting and engaging.
Easy Steps to Find a Perfect Essay Topic:
- Start with jotting down the ideas that commonly pop up in your mind.
- Then try to pick one of those ideas that you find interest in.
- Narrow down your ideas to something that seems more specific, accurate, and manageable.
- Now, create a title that is engaging, clear-cut, and concise too.
By going through these steps, you can easily select the right topic for your cause and effect essay. But still, if you do not find any fresh ideas, then we can provide you with some amazing topics that you can start with. Also, it is recommended to go through some cause and effect essay examples to get a better idea on how to start with it.
Some Outstanding Cause and Effect Essay Topics:
The cause and effect essay topics can be written on these subjects: medical, political, social science, gender studies, technology, environment, and so on. Some popular topics are as follows:
- Impact of social anxiety on teenagers
- Impact of social media on modern society
- The influence of digital learning on young minds
- Impact of technological evolution in the history of mankind
- Cause and effect of Global Warming
- Consequences of illegal cutting of the trees
- Social media addiction and its consequences
- Impact of financial independence in a romantic relationship
- Effect of the internet on upcoming businesses.
Looking for Hassle-free Essay Writing Assistance? Take Online College Essay Help
If you need urgent help for your essay writing assignment that too of high quality, then rely on our qualified and experienced writers at EduHelpHub. They are 24*7 available to provide you with exceptional online college essay help, no matter how tight the deadline is. Just talk to our experts online and avail of our premium essay writing assistance at pocket-friendly rates.